Sunday, June 9, 2013

What Does Torah Mean to Me?

I know, another blog.  Why would I do this?  Well I love teaching Torah and I don't get to do it as often as I would like.  But I am going to have a summer with a bunch of opportunities for sermons, teaching, and working at a camp for a Shabbat so I have been preparing this weekend.  I also was asked recently to talk about some very disturbing passages in the Torah about destroying the Midianites, so I thought why not share some of my thoughts in a special blog that answers questions, teach my view of the Torah and create a chance for my own learning if people join me here and we get into great conversations.

The Torah, to me, is ancient poetry, written by our ancestor in an attempt to seek God or the essence of God in the universe.  It also is a document of justice and how to create a just society and bring people into community.  If we try to take it literally then we miss the deeper meaning of the words and emotion that make the stories work for all times.  Finding how its lessons can speak to our lives is the fun of what we will do here.  Let me know if there is any specific thing you might want to explore.  I should have my first real post in the coming days.


No comments:

Post a Comment